International students

Moodle course and Instagram channel for international students

The Advisory Service has set up a dedicated Moodle group for the university's international students, where we share e.g. up-to-date information on residency issues, student financing, events and happenings.

Be sure to sign up, so you do not miss any news or updates:


Enrollment Key: Internationales!


There is also an Instagram channel where important information as well as events are shared.

The Instagram name is: internationalestudierende.hsh

Residence law questions / Foreigners Office

Every international student usually must take care of a residence permit for studying at Hochschule Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts before and during their studies. This often causes a lot of stress for many students. Therefore, we have collected the most important questions and answers for you here.

Please keep in mind that the FAQs listed below do not claim to be complete and are only intended as a first introduction. For complete and legally binding information, please contact the website of the foreigners office.

Currently, the Advisory Service, in cooperation with the Foreigners Office of the City of Hanover, is assigning appointments to students at Hochschule Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts. Please be sure to sign up for this service in our Moodle group (see above).

© Photo by Christian Dubovan on Unsplash


For international students in particular, the question of financing their studies is a major challenge. In most cases, they are denied access to BAföG.

Here we present options for financing your studies.

General information

The Hannover Science Initiative provides explanatory videos on the topic of student financing that will help you get an initial overview of your options:


Video: How to finance my studies in Germany?

The so called Studentenwerk Hannover also has a lot of important and helpful information for you on its website:

Website: Studentenwerk Hannover, Financing


In most cases it is not possible to finance a stay without a student job. In Hannover and at the Hochschule Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts there is a large offer of student jobs.

Various websites can be useful to you in your search for a job, e.g.:

Jobbörse der Bundesagentur für Arbeit

Jobmensa: Jobbörse für Studenten


The Initiative “Initiative Wissenschaft Hannover" also offers a helpful video on this topic:

Video: International students and jobs

The so called “Studentenwerk” Hannover has also compiled further information and contacts for you here.


Students at Risk - Hilde Domin Programme

The programme serves to support students and doctoral candidates from across the globe, who are at risk of being formally or de facto denied educational or other rights in their country of origin, and to provide these students and doctoral candidates with an opportunity to begin or complete a study or research degree at a higher education institution in Germany. Students and doctoral candidates nominated and accepted under the programme will be enrolled in degree courses of any personal subject choice and according to individual qualifications and receive a scholarship sufficient to cover the necessary costs incurred in the course of their study resp. research stay.

Details can be found here:

Interested students cannot apply directly to the DAAD, but must be nominated by the university. The nomination is done by the International Team of the Advisory Service (contact: Please contact us if you are interested.



Another possibility to finance your studies, at least partially, are scholarships.

The “Initiative Wissenschaft Hannover” has also created an overview of scholarship opportunities.

At Hochschule Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts, so called “WIR/Deutschland” scholarships are also awarded annually to students at the university. Here you can find more information about the WIR/Deutschland STIPENDIUM.

Another option is the Landesstipendium Niedersachsen. This is a one-time scholarship in the amount of 500.00 euros. (If you apply for the WIR scholarship, this application also counts for an application for the Landesstipendium Niedersachsen).

For international students, scholarships are also awarded each year at HsH in cooperation with the DAAD for special commitment or as graduation assistance. We share information about this via our Moodle group for international students and social media, as well as via our website.



There are many private and public student residences in Hannover. Nevertheless, it is not always easy for students to find suitable living space. Especially before the semester starts, many students are looking for a room or an apartment.

The "Initiative Wissenschaft Hannover” has created an explanatory video for initial orientation, which you can access here.

Furthermore, the so called Studentenwerk Hannover has useful information about the student housing and offers a housing exchange.


Rental costs

Monthly room rates range from €300 to €550; for a complete apartment, you should expect a much higher rent.


Rental contracts

There are binding rental agreements, which means that by signing them you confirm that you are a tenant. Rental agreements can be mutually cancelled only if they are terminated 3 months in advance.

As a rule, you must pay a so-called security deposit. It is a security for the landlord. If the apartment or room was not left clean or facilities were damaged, then the landlord keeps all or part of the deposit. The deposit is also used for renting defaults.


Transition from study to work

If you need support or advice for the transition from study to work, the Career Center of the Advising Service Center will be happy to help you with a wide range of services.

Also, if you need help with your search and application for your practical phase during your studies, please contact our Career Center. Among other things, a special job application training course for international students is offered every year.

Click here to access the Career Center's services: Website Career Center HsH

Advisory and support inside and outside the university

At University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hannover, but also outside of it, there are various points of contact that can help you with a wide variety of questions and challenges in your everyday study life. But it is not always easy to find "your" contact person and to find your way through the advisory jungle. In the following, you will find the most important offices and people.

Advisory Service for international students at University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hannover

There are two advisors in the Advisory Service who serve as the first point of contact for international students with general questions and support them during their studies. We look forward to meeting you!

Advisory for international students

Non-Public Person

"Vertrauensprofessor" for international students at University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hannover

The university has a "Vertrauensprofessor" for international students. He supports you specifically with individual challenges during your studies, with the assertion of your interests towards the university and mediates if there are differences or obstacles with study achievements (e.g., with problems concerning the right of residence or missing examination achievements).

Social Counseling for students in Hannover

Studentenwerk Hannover - Department of Social Affairs and International Affairs

The Social Counseling Center at the so called Studentenwerk Hannover is a contact point for (prospective) students. It offers orientation and clarification assistance in the search for a solution to personal, social, and economic problems.

The Social and International Affairs Department will help you unbureaucratically, directly and competently. Of course, all conversations are treated confidentially.

This office provides tips and information on:

  • Jobbing and social security
  • Financing possibilities (besides BAföG)
  • Social security between studies and job
  • Exemption from broadcasting fees, telephone fee reduction, housing allowance, child benefit, etc.
  • Studying with a child
  • Health insurance
  • Studying with a handicap
  • Special problems of foreign students
  • Advice and support in conflict situations
  • All other social questions concerning studies

Visiting address: Lodyweg 1 C, 30167 Hannover

Postal address: P.O. Box 58 20, 30058 Hannover

Contact person:

Karen Tepel, Tel. (05 11) 76-88 919

Ina Klyk, Tel. (05 11) 76-88 922

Dorothea Tschepke, Phone (05 11) 76-88 935


Website of  Social Counseling

Counseling of foreign students in KED

The "kirchliche Entwicklungsdienst der evangelisch-lutherischen Landeskirche" offers individual counseling for foreign students on student financing, work and residence permits, health insurance, and rental and legal issues. Further information can be found here.


Psychological counseling service for students (ptb)

Studying can be a challenge. Whether you are at the start of your studies or almost at the end: The psychological counselling service offers free advice concerning problems caused by studying as well as in personal conflict situations.

You can turn to our experienced counsellors to talk about problems such as:

  • crises and disturbances in the course of your studies such as test anxiety, learning and achievement disorders
  • difficulties with personal relations like family or friends
  • problems ranging from loneliness and isolation with depressive moods or suicidal thoughts
  • difficulties adjusting to new circumstances/culture/country

Further information you can find here:


The AStA of University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hannover

The general student committee of the university (short AStA) offers advice, networking, and events for (international) students at Hochschule Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts. Here you will find low threshold offers of help on topics such as LGBTTIQQAAP+, student financing, participation, and social issues. On the Website of the AStA you will find many exciting topics and projects.