According to the Lower Saxony Higher Education Act (NHG), the Senate's responsibilities include:
- Adoption of the university regulations, insofar as this responsibility is not assigned to the faculties
- Adoption of the University Development Plan and the Equal Opportunities Plan, the latter in agreement with the Executive Board
- Giving its opinion on all self-governing matters of fundamental importance, in particular on the establishment, amendment and abolition of faculties as well as on the introduction, substantial amendment and closure of degree programmes
- Participation in the appointment of the President of the University
- Participation in the appointment of full-time vice-presidents
- Participation in the appointment of part-time vice-presidents.
The Senate has a comprehensive right to information vis-à-vis the Executive Board. It shall be informed before a decision is taken on the business plan and on the conclusion of a target agreement.