Before the stay

Health insurance

During your studies at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts, you must have a student health insurance. Usually, this is the statutory health insurance.

Please note that private health insurance is no longer accepted.
European Union students can use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Students from non-EU countries who have health insurance in their home country

A German health insurance company must verify that you have sufficient health insurance coverage in your home country. If your insurance coverage is sufficient, a German statutory health insurance company will issue a certificate for you to present to the university („Bescheinigung zur Vorlage bei der Hochschule“).

Please upload this document also in Mobility Online. If the German health insurance company concludes that your coverage is not sufficient, you will need German health insurance. You can find more information about this under the next point (not insured in your home country).

Students from non-EU countries who do not have health insurance in their home country

Only during the very short period between your arrival in Germany and your enrollment at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts a travel health insurance from your home country is sufficient. For your enrollment at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts, you will need proof of insurance coverage from a German health insurance company.

You will need to purchase German health insurance. The prices are moderate, about 80-100 Euros per month. The German health insurance company will provide you with a certificate to present to the university („Bescheinigung zur Vorlage bei der Hochschule“). Please upload this document also in Mobility Online.


You can find important information on taking out health insurance as well as a list of health insurance companies and their contacts at the Student Services Organisation Hanover (step 4 - take out health insurance).

Information on health insurance on the website of the German Students Services Organisation.

You can find further information on the Academic Affairs page.

The chatbot of the DeGiS might answer some of your questions too:

ECTS Learning Agreement

Before the start of your stay, you must conclude a Learning Agreement on the courses you wish to attend at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts.

You can find the course offer here.

Have your ECTS Learning Agreement signed by the responsible lecturer at your university and by the International Faculty Office at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts.

The respective International Faculty Officer at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the specific courses offered and the degree programmes:

Semester fees and CampusCard

You can find the amount of the semester fee here.

For programme students who are at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts for one or a maximum of two exchange semesters, the administrative fee (75 euros) is waived, so that you only pay contributions for participation in public transport, use of services provided by the Studentenwerk (canteen, halls of residence) and a contribution to student self-administration (AStA).

We will tell you the exact amount you need to transfer directly by email during the enrolment process.

Please note that the semester fee cannot be paid in cash. If you decide to pay the fee in Hannover, you will have to calculate a bank fee of approx. 6€. You will only receive your CampusCard including semester ticket approximately two weeks after paying the fee. During this processing time, you will have to reckon with additional costs for the use of public transport. Therefore, it is easiest if you already transfer the semester fee from home to avoid any delays.

After your entry, or about two weeks after your deposit, you will then receive your CampusCard, which is your student ID and has many other important functions.

You can find more information about this here:

General functions:

Explanation video:



Rental costs

Monthly room rates range from €300 to €550; for a complete flat, you should expect a much higher rent.

Rental contracts

There are binding tenancy agreements, which means that your signature confirms that you are a tenant. Rental contracts can only be mutually cancelled if they are terminated 3 months in advance.

As a rule, so-called security deposits must be paid. This is a security for the landlord. If the flat or room has not been left clean or furnishings have been damaged, then the landlord keeps all or part of the deposit. The deposit is also used for rent defaults.

Rooms in halls of residence of the Studentenwerk Hannover

Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts can only provide a certain number of rooms in the halls of residence of the Studentenwerk Hannover for incoming students each semester.
You can find out more about prices and locations of the halls of residence here:

The distribution to the locations is done by the Studentenwerk. Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts has no influence on this and we ask you to refrain from making enquiries.

In order to distribute the rooms fairly, the following procedure applies:
We will open the application by email at a time we will inform you about during the application process. So don't worry, you will receive the necessary information from us by email. Rooms will be allocated according to the order in which emails are received.

Links for your own search for a room or flat

Living costs

Living costs and expenses vary significantly depending on your individual expectations and needs and where you live.
You should plan how and when to exchange your currency to get the best exchange rate. It is not advisable to take large amounts of cash with you unless you are sure you will need it.
The average student needs about €600 per month for living expenses.

Food: 150-200 € per month,
You can get a warm meal in the refectory for about € 2.00

    Source: Unsplash, Brooke Lark


    If you come from a non-EU country, please enquire at the respective German representation in your country whether you need a visa for your studies at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts. After a successful application, you will receive an admission letter from the university, which you can use to apply for a visa. If you need further documents to apply for a visa from the university, please contact us at hsh-incoming(at)

    Immediately after arriving in Hannover, you must apply for a residence permit in some cases. You do this at the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde). However, if your visa is already valid for the entire period of your stay with us, an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office is usually no longer necessary.

    You can find out when you need to apply for a residence permit and further information on the DAAD website: Visa.

    German courses at Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts

    Would you like to be able to communicate (better) in German? The Service Centre for Teaching Excellence at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers a 2-week intensive German course in February and September before the start of lectures. During the semester, there are German courses to accompany your studies.

    You can find an overview of all "German as a foreign language" courses here.

    Please register for the German course in good time - about two months in advance.

    German placement test

    After your application, you will receive a German placement test by email. This will be used to assign you to a German course according to your level of knowledge for the time during the Welcome Weeks.

    You can find the other courses offered by the Language Center here.

    Source: Unsplash, Hannah Wright

    Funding, bank account and blocked account

    Additional recommendations

    Liability insurance

    We strongly recommend that you take out liability insurance for your time in Germany. Liability insurance covers the costs of damage you cause to or in others (e.g. damage to the rented flat; flooding in the bathroom).

    Broadcasting fees (GEZ)

    During your time in Hannover, you will have to pay broadcasting fees in Germany. If you live in a private apartment, ask your landlord if he or she already pays the broadcasting fees. If not, you will have to pay them yourself. You can find more information here.

    You can also use the information provided by the Studentenwerk Hannover.

    Travel health insurance

    If you would like to enter Germany before the official start of the semester (start of summer semester: March 1st, start of winter semester: September 1st), we advise you to purchase travel health insurance ("Reisekrankenversicherung") so that you can benefit from health insurance coverage in Germany until the start of the semester and until the start of your student health insurance.

    Further information:

    During the stay



    Welcome Weeks

    The Welcome Weeks take place every year in February and September before the start of the semester and last two weeks. In addition to the intensive German course, the International Team helps with the formalities and organises a varied programme to get to know each other. All international students are welcome to participate in the programme.

    Participation is not compulsory, but strongly recommended. The Welcome Weeks give you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with life and studying in Hannover and to make contact with other international students.

    The exact programme will be sent to you in the weeks before your arrival.

    Important: Due to the worldwide Corona pandemic, there may be changes to the programme or events may be cancelled completely. We ask for your understanding in this regard.

    Citizens' Registration Office (Bürgeramt) and Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde)

    During Welcome Weeks, we will schedule appointments for you at the Citizens' Registration Office and the Foreigners' Registration Office. You don't have to worry about that.

    Support during the studies

    In the International Team, we are happy to help you with all organisational questions. We also regularly organise events and activities for all international students.
    Please contact us at hsh-incoming(at)

    For all questions regarding your studies (courses, credits, study contents, Learning Agreement, Transcrip of Records), please contact the International Faculty Officer of your faculty. You can find an overview of which International Faculty Officer is responsible for you here.


    IT Account

    Every student at Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts receives their own account for accessing the Wifi, the PCs and the Moodle learning platform. User name and password are issued by the IT department via email at the beginning of the semester.

    The account includes

    •     email address
    •     5 GB storage space on the server
    •     Access to all public computers
    •     Access to the university's Wifi (eduroam)

    E-mail account

    Information about courses, exams and events concerning your faculty and the university will be sent to your Hochschule Hannover email account. In order not to miss any important information, please check your emails regularly!

    At the end of the stay

    Before you leave, you should collect all the necessary study documents:

    Further information:

    •     Please remember to deregister (by email) at the Citizens' Registration Office before you leave the country.
    •     Cancel your bank account
    •     Cancel your room or flat (usually 3 months before leaving the country)
    •     Cancel any existing insurances and other contracts such as mobile phone contracts
    •     If you need confirmation that you are no longer studying at our university, please fill out the form "Antrag auf Exmatrikulation" (Application for Exmatriculation) and hand it in personally or by email to the Academic Affairs department: Forms of the Academic Affairs department


    Extend your stay

    You have enjoyed your stay at our university and would like to extend it by one semester? We look forward to welcoming you further and ask you to take the following steps.

    You want to extend your stay

    • Please inform the Incoming Team and the International Faculty Office that you would like to study an additional semester at our university.
    • Please also inform the International Office at your home university.
    • Make sure that you have sufficient funds for your continued stay. You may need to replenish your blocked account.
    • Please transfer the semester fee for the next semester in good time. Please check beforehand how much the semester fee is; they may have changed. Feel free to speak to us in the Incoming Team if you are unsure.
    • Extend your tenancy agreement or look for a new flat/room in good time.
    • Please inform the Academic Affairs department about possible address changes and please change your address in your student account.